Friday, May 8, 2009

Staple Singers - Long Walk To D. C.


Listen: Staple Singers - Long Walk to D. C.

Well, I didn't think this would ever actually happen, but I finally have a blog. This is probably my third attempt at starting one up, and I'm only following though this time because Kendall is on board.

The general idea: Kendall will post one of our vintage postcards and I will reply with one of our vintage records. We have a lot more records than postcards, though, so who know how long we can keep that up. Maybe when we run out of postcards we'll move on to political buttons or civil war bullets. Any excuse to hit the flea market, I guess.

Kendall's first post was a DC postcard, which is fitting because it's where we live. It's a pretty good home, too. Last night I had my first presidential motorcade sighting. That is an impressive sight (and sound), even if you voted for the other guy (who still works here, too).

Seeing the president is why Pops, Mavis, Cleotha, Pervis, and Yvonne all decided to take a long walk here for their first Stax single back in 1968. It's a short song, and the MGs keep them moving along all the way from Memphis (or Jackson, Mississippi) to DC.

2 comments: